Zabbix upgrade from 3.2.x to 3.4.x
I use Zabbix as a daily tool to monitor and to alert about hosts, servers, and so on. I had a appliance version 3.2.x installed, which worked fine. I noticed there was a 3.4.x version release with new features, and did an upgrade. Fairly simple, but for good manner it is good to have backup of your working version.
My appliance is hosted on VMware ESXi and running on Ubuntu / Debian.
– Log in to your zabbix console via ssh, and sudo yourself:
– Stop zabbix service:
service zabbix-server stop
– add Zabbix reposity to source-list:
– At the very bottom of the file above, add these to lines, and of course save the file:
deb http://repo.zabbix.com/zabbix/3.4/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://repo.zabbix.com/zabbix/3.4/ubuntu trusty main
– Create temp if needed, go there, and download the official deb-package:
– Install the downloaded deb-package:
dpkg -i zabbix-release_3.4-1+trusty_all.deb
– Run the apt-get update to see if there is anything to be updated:
– Upgrade zabbix. I had to do this, and above “apt-get update” -command, within three hours because the zabbix repo resides in the US and requests time-outed. There will be question about overwriting your config files, answer no (N) to them!:
apt-get install -f zabbix-server-mysql zabbix-agent zabbix-frontend-php
– That’s it. Just start your zabbix service, and wait few minutes it to initalize. Most likely you’ll have database connection error on the www-frontend, but wait 5 minutes and reboot your server.
service zabbix-server start